About Market Access Africa
Market Access Africa is a mission-driven healthcare organization that works with the public, private, and third sectors to design and deliver transformational healthcare solutions for Africa. We envision an Africa where world-class healthcare is the standard, and where deep-rooted inequities are a thing of the past. To solve complex problems on the ground, we curate and advance bold ideas that accelerate access to the best innovations and appropriate solutions for Africa’s health systems. We are daring to raise the level of ambition for what is possible in African healthcare. We do this by partnering with organizations across the healthcare ecosystem to develop bespoke solutions that recognize and leverage the uniqueness and dynamism of the different African countries where we work.
Where will you fit in?
Eighteen months after it was founded, Market Access Africa is looking to hire a Financial Controller to oversee every aspect of the company’s financial operations. The Finance Controller will serve as the primary person responsible for finance, supporting the leadership team on corporate accounting, budgeting and forecasting, financial modelling, bookkeeping, cost control measures, business planning, and compliance and reporting in the various jurisdictions where we operate. This is a role for someone who is excited to bring their experience and track record of excellence to a start-up company, and to grow together with us. We are looking for a candidate who thrives in a fast-paced business environment, prepared to contribute across a wide range of business tasks essential for our success, and driven to build a best-in-class financial department
What will you do?
- Monitor and report on income, expenditure and cashflow across all business units and regions, including day-to-day bookkeeping (currently in Quickbooks). Initially the Controller is expected to carry out bookkeeping functions until volumes require dedicated bookkeeping resource. We then expect the Controller to manage a bookkeeper and other administrative financial staff as we grow.
- Establish a sound financial control framework for the organization
- Complete monthly “financial close” processes including reconciliation, journal entries, trial balance checks and production of financial statements
Reporting and Filings
- Prepare monthly or quarterly Management Accounts and Budget vs Actual reports
- Work with our external Accountants to prepare and file regulatory reports and tax filings across the different jurisdictions where we operate (EU, US, and Africa)
- Manage quarterly VAT submission to the relevant authorities
- Dealing with audit issues (both external and internal)
- Support senior management to develop the long-term financial strategy for the Company
- Support the development, enhancement and updating of financial projections and models, including demonstrating the viability/attractiveness of our different internal products
- Work with external accountants to conduct Tax Planning and develop and implement beneficial tax strategies
Compliance, Governance and Policies
- Research and become well acquainted with bookkeeping, tax filing, HR standards and other related government regulations in the 8 countries where we are registered
- Comply with varying country requirements by maintaining compliance documentation and maintaining historical records by filing documents electronically
- Evaluate and implement new IT platforms (including ERP) to streamline financial operations, reduce administrative overheads, facilitate scalability, and drive best practice processes appropriate for rapidly growing start-up business
Other Administrative duties
- Manage monthly payroll
- Oversee contracts management with consultants and suppliers
- Manage accounts receivables and accounts payables and maintaining records of vendor relations and statuses
- As we grow, we will add administrative headcount to assist with many of these duties and expect the Financial Controller to become a member of the management team, ultimately reporting to a CFO (who may not be hired full-time until later in our growth cycle)
What are we looking for?
- 7+ years of finance and accounting experience with at least 3-5 years as a Financial Controller or equivalent role
- Bachelor’s degree required; concentration in accounting or finance preferred
- CPA, CFA, CMA or CFC Qualifications preferred
- Outstanding Accounting skills with a detailed knowledge of GAAP and IFRS standards
- Solid experience of multiple booking and financial management software packages, including Quickbooks
- Strong internal finance skills including, but not limited to, accounting and tax, internal and external controls, budgeting and planning, treasury, financial systems, and management reporting.
- Ability to prepare financial models, analyze financial reports and make recommendations based on analysis and research
- Strong management skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
It's truly a match if you have:
- Proven ownership of functions outside of finance & accounting (e.g., people/HR, legal, business operations, corporate/business development)
- Fluency in French and English
- Experience in startup fundraising
- Big 4 accounting/audit firm experience
- Understanding of trade finance in Africa
Application deadline is October 14, 5PM CAT. The Finance Controller can be based anywhere in Africa, but should ideally be within 3 hours of Central Africa Time.